On this day, last year, the Haiti earthquake destroyed an already fragile country; the negative effects till vibrate throughout the country. Many of us donated time, money, clothing, etc, and I want to bring to your attention another way to help the citizens of Haiti: Heart of Haiti.
Macy’s has partnered with Fairwinds Trading and Brand-Aid, which are two companies that help artisans get their products into international markets. Together, they launched Heart of Haiti. This home collection is made up of handmade products: paintings, ceramics, and metalwork, which are all made from recycled materials. The purpose of Heart of Haiti is to help the Haitian economy by giving these artists the chance to earn a sustainable income through job creation. The collection has led to the employment of 350 Haitian artists and the financial benefits have affected and estimated 4000 to 5000 people.
I love bright colors and one of my favorite pieces from this collection is wall art entitled “Market Scene” But as much as I enjoy the colors, the metalwork is what caught my eye. I have the “Tree of Life” picture frame on my shopping list, along with the “Agwe” mirror and candle holders.
By going to Shop for a Better World, you can buy beautiful, handcrafted products for your home, or as a gift to your loved ones and in the process help the Haitian community.
- Help Haiti by Shopping the Heart of Haiti Collection at Macy’s (susanheim.blogspot.com)
- Macy’s Launches Heart of Haiti Iniative (shoppingblog.com)
- Use Your Buying to Help Others: Shop Heart of Haiti (greenyourdecor.com)
- Haiti Survivors Team With Macy’s: Quilts, paintings, jewelry and ceramics will… (curbed.com)
- Macy’s gives Haiti’s artists helping hand (seattletimes.nwsource.com)